1. Sit your dog at your side and/or in front of you.
2. Say your chosen ON, or attention-getting, cue word. This can be your dog’s name, or LOOK, WATCH, or READY.
3. Use a food treat, ball or other toy to get the dog’s attention. Then move the motivator up toward your eyes.
4. As soon as the dog looks at you, say “YES” or click, then immediately REWARD and PRAISE and RELEASE. Teach your dog a release word such as ALL DONE, RELEASE, FREE, OKAY.
5. Continue doing this, keeping your dog’s attention for longer periods of time before releasing.